Welcome to the farm...

Welcome! For up to date happenings of Life On CT Farm, visit and follow my Facebook page under "CT Farms"...I will only blog when I get the itch to write or when I am reviewing books or feel inspired in some other way. So, come. Explore. Enjoy your visit!!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Busy, Snowy & Recipe of the Week: Renee's Sweet and Spicy Chilli

Yesterday and today have been busy for me. Yesterday, I started my day with chores and then I had to pay some bills and run some errands. However, a voicemail upset my whole apple cart. Matt and I just became licensed foster parents for Stark County. As foster parents, especially new ones, we have to have 40 hours of continuing education training. Yesterday, we were scheduled to meet with our case worker and establish our training plan. Due to the weird weather we've been having, our worker called to postpone our meeting. Matt, having such crazy work hours, was frantic because this was the only time he and I could meet with her. After playing phone tag and sending emails, we finally got it all worked out to still meet. However, I had eaten up a lot of time in limbo waiting. But, I tried to busy myself as best I could not really knowing how my day would end up going. Finally at 2:55 PM, Matt called and said, "She can be there in 45 minutes." Ahhhhh!!! Now it was 52-pick-up time for the house, re-prioritize errands and 100 other things before she got here. It all worked out in the end and we had a nice visit and got our training plan established. I had nothing quick to fix for supper except a big roast in the fridge that would take hours to cook. So, Matt and I cleaned out our spare change jar and went to Tumbleweed for supper. Yum!

Today hasn't been any too calm either. I started the day with chores and then had a doctor's appointment for my allergies at 10:30 AM. The winter weather storm we were supposed to get was already starting. Matt came home early to sleep because he was going to be "Plow Guy" again. So, I took "The Shoe" and went to my appointment and then to work for a little bit. I figured I should go to work today since I didn't know how tomorrow would be. (My job is has a flexible schedule. I know what I need to get done, and as long as I do, my boss is cool with that.) I left work at 4:15 and was home around 5:00. It's normally a 25 minute commute... Matt was getting ready to go plow when I got home. He left and I put my roast in the crock pot, made some bread, tidied the house, did some chores and am now writing this post. All-in-all, a full last two days. Not crazy, but full.

I apologize for not getting my Recipe of the Week out yesterday, but better late than never. This week's recipe was recommended by Matt, I hope you enjoy.

Renee's Sweet and Spicy Chili
courtesy Renee Schaaf, CT Farm

1 pound Bob Evan's regular bulk sausage
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 14.5oz. can kidney beans (do not drain)
1 14.5oz. can black beans (do not drain)
1/4-1/3 c. Bob Evan's BBQ sauce ( I use 1/3 cup)
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. chili powder
3 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar

In a Dutch Oven, slightly brown sausage and ground beef over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender and meats are cooked through. Drain any excess grease. Lower heat to medium-low. Add salt, garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper, paprika and cinnamon. Stir. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, black beans, BBQ sauce and sugar. Stir. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add liquid smoke and vinegar. Stir. Let simmer 10 minutes. Serve over corn chips (Fritos) and top with sour cream.

This makes a thick chili. If you like a thinner chili, add water until desired consistency.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, your day made me dizzy.

Deborah Ozanich said...

Hey Renee! Haven't seen you guys in ages, glad you're feeling better and things are shaping up for you guys. Thought about you both and wondered how you were. I wonder if you'll get this post?? Can't tell if you're still doing this or not. Just wanted to tell you I'm definitely going to try the chili recipes. Nick and I are always trying new versions, looking for the spiciest, tastiest ones:) Peace and Hope to you and yours. Please tell Matt I said Hello! Deborah (Johnson) Ozanich
djohnso5@kent.edu


Gone But Not Forgotten...

Even though you may be gone from this earth, you will always live on in our hearts!

Roscoe

Roscoe
A good walking buddy and awesome frisbee catcher! Life cut short by a brain tumor.

Tuffy

Tuffy
If ever there was a candidate for Dog Heaven, it would be Tuff. Tuff was put to rest December 7, 2012. At almost 14 years old, he threw the longevity curve for dogs of his breed-makeup and size. He battled 2 types of cancer and Cushing's Disease as well as arthritis. Faithful to the end and never grumpy, depite the constant care and nagging from me. Always the protector, gentleman and companion--you will be sorely missed by all who had the opportunity to know you.

Cranky Thomas

Cranky Thomas
Ever wonder why it's called "Life On CT Farm"? The horse you see in the pictures is Cranky Thomas, a registered quarter horse gelding. He was born May 5, 1980 in Galion, Alabama and passed away August 3, 2004 on CT Farm--his farm. He originally belonged to my husband, but I adopted him and I think he adopted me. We competed together in contest classes at local horse shows. But, an old injury finally slowed him down and I retired him in 2000. He was a loving and patient being that I completely trusted and admired. There will never be another like him, never. He meant so much to me that I named our farm after him as well as my company, Cranky T. LLC. He's gone now, but is still with me and now you.

Followers