Welcome to the farm...

Welcome! For up to date happenings of Life On CT Farm, visit and follow my Facebook page under "CT Farms"...I will only blog when I get the itch to write or when I am reviewing books or feel inspired in some other way. So, come. Explore. Enjoy your visit!!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Busy Day & Recipe of the Week: "Take That BW3" Chicken Wings

Tuffy and I have been on the move since this morning. Mom needed to go to the grocery today, so I volunteered to take her since my dad has been having trouble getting around. Tuffy is always up for a road trip. We got to Mom and Dad's a little before noon. Tuff was going to spend the day with "Grandpa" while Mom and I went to Mt. Vernon. Mom and I left a little after noon and didn't get back until after 5:00 PM.

First, we went to Bob Evans for lunch. Then, we stopped at the Mt. Vernon Goodwill (You'll soon find out I am a Goodwill junkie!)to see what goodies we could find. Not much today. Then, off to Aldi and Wal-Mart. It was the beginning of the month, so everyone was out getting groceries. It seemed like it took forever. Finally, we were done. I was needing to get chicken feed, but didn't know where I could get any in Mt. Vernon. As I'm driving down Coshocton avenue, I noticed a Tractor Supply. Just then, I remembered that they recently became a Purina dealer. Ah Ha! I zipped Mom and Dad's van into the lot. I found my Layena, paid for it, loaded it and we were on our way. I proudly feed Purina Sunfresh Recipe feeds to my chicks and layers. It is certified natural and the girls seem to do really well on it.

Mom and I whipped up a simple supper and then I helped her organize her spice cupboard. Dad got her these small glass spice jars for Christmas. We cleaned out and organized and things look great!

I hope the suspense of finding out the recipe of the week hasn't been killing you too much. So, with out further ado...Just in time for Superbowl Sunday...

"Take that BW3" Chicken Wings
recipe courtesy Renee Schaaf, CT Farm

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

30-36 chicken wings (paddles, drumettes or both)
milk (2%, whole or buttermilk)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2-4 Tbsp. cooking oil (canola or vegetable, enough to almost cover the bottom of a skillet)
vegetable spray

Add chicken wing pieces to a bowl and add enough milk to almost cover the wings and let sit. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add chicken to flour mixture and coat. (I prefer a container with a lid so I can shake the chicken in the flour.) Do not overcrowd the chicken in the bowl.

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil. Let oil heat in the pan. (To test if oil is hot enough, sprinkle a little bit of flour into the oil. If it starts to "fizz" a little, the oil should be hot enough.) Shake excess flour from chicken and add chicken to the skillet. Brown chicken wings pieces on both sides till crispy and a nice golden brown. Do not overcrowd the chicken in the skillet; work in batches if you have to.

After all pieces are browned, spray a cookie sheet with vegetable spray. Place all browned pieces of chicken on the cookie sheet. Put cookie sheet in oven and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until meat pulls away from the bone with a fork.

Wing Sauce
Melt 3/4 of a stick of butter (real butter)
add 1/4-1/3 cup of Bob Evans Wildfire barbecue sauce or another sweet barbecue sauce
Whisk butter and sauce together, until smooth. Add wings and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

RubyJunes said...

The recipe looks yummy! Lovely blog!


Gone But Not Forgotten...

Even though you may be gone from this earth, you will always live on in our hearts!

Roscoe

Roscoe
A good walking buddy and awesome frisbee catcher! Life cut short by a brain tumor.

Tuffy

Tuffy
If ever there was a candidate for Dog Heaven, it would be Tuff. Tuff was put to rest December 7, 2012. At almost 14 years old, he threw the longevity curve for dogs of his breed-makeup and size. He battled 2 types of cancer and Cushing's Disease as well as arthritis. Faithful to the end and never grumpy, depite the constant care and nagging from me. Always the protector, gentleman and companion--you will be sorely missed by all who had the opportunity to know you.

Cranky Thomas

Cranky Thomas
Ever wonder why it's called "Life On CT Farm"? The horse you see in the pictures is Cranky Thomas, a registered quarter horse gelding. He was born May 5, 1980 in Galion, Alabama and passed away August 3, 2004 on CT Farm--his farm. He originally belonged to my husband, but I adopted him and I think he adopted me. We competed together in contest classes at local horse shows. But, an old injury finally slowed him down and I retired him in 2000. He was a loving and patient being that I completely trusted and admired. There will never be another like him, never. He meant so much to me that I named our farm after him as well as my company, Cranky T. LLC. He's gone now, but is still with me and now you.

Followers