Welcome to the farm...

Welcome! For up to date happenings of Life On CT Farm, visit and follow my Facebook page under "CT Farms"...I will only blog when I get the itch to write or when I am reviewing books or feel inspired in some other way. So, come. Explore. Enjoy your visit!!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Plowed Out, An Amish Gem & Work Day

Things have been pretty boring lately, I have to admit. I didn't want to bore you with a post yesterday because there wasn't anything really exciting. However, in the evening, Matt finally got us plowed out from the second snow we had. Check out Mount Schaaf...



Matt wanted me to snap a photo of our snow pile that he made from plowing our driveway with our loader tractor. I had Tuffy sit on the ground to give you an idea of how big the pile is.



Anyway...we were out of a few things, so we decided to go shopping...

We have the privilege of living on the fringe of the worlds largest Amish community. If you go about 40 minutes southeast of here, there is a small town called Berlin. Berlin is in the heart of the world's largest Amish community. This is reaffirmed on a sign outside of town that reads,



So, now you know I'm not lying. I had the luxury of working in Berlin for a while at a veterinary clinic for about six months. Berlin is small, but when it's tourist season, look out. There are people everywhere taking in the quaint shops and daily life of the local Amish. While working down there, not only did I learn about Amish culture, but I also learned where some really neat places were, off the beaten path. I found this absolute gem of a little country market, literally out in the country and called "The Country Pantry", run by a Mennonite (I'm guessing) family. (It's hard to tell who is actually Amish or Mennonite. There are so many different groups. Each group has their own bishop and some bishops are more modern than others.) The Country Pantry sells bulk foods, deli meats, cheeses, etc. The meats and cheeses are half the price I would pay at our local supermarket or even Wal-Mart. It really is a gem. So, I make the trek once or twice a month to restock Matt on his sandwich making supplies.

After The Country Pantry, we headed to the Millersburg Wal-Mart. Yes, we have a Wal-Mart in Wooster, but I hate it. It's always busy and out of everything. Since we were in the Millersburg direction, we just stopped there. It's less crowded, better stocked and just nicer. It even has a covered hitching area for the Amish buggies--not just a bar like most places around here. On our way to Wal-Mart, Matt noticed a sign outside of the East of Chicago Pizza, that said, "Any Pizza, $9.99". He was hungry so we decided to check it out after Wal-Mart. I thought there would be some sort of catch or something, but any pizza really was $9.99!!! Any size, even specialty pizzas!!! We took advantage of that and got the biggest one with lots of toppings so we could take some home. Yum!

On our way back home, we had to make a pit stop in Wooster. I'm cat sitting for a couple right now. They are super nice and have nice cats.

So, maybe I could have posted yesterday. I guess it wasn't sooo boring after all.

Today was a work day for me. Fridays are always work days. It's the "most important day," says my boss. The trading for commodities ends around 2:30 EST and I have to enter the opening, high, low and closing values for the days (Monday through Friday) and then on Fridays I am able to enter the opening, high, low and close for the week. My boss studies this information and uses it to determine when to buy and sell commodity futures. I also keep track of the hog records too. The hog farm where I work is part of a larger group of growers and finishers of hogs. The group is monitored by a veterinarian in Western Ohio. Quarterly, we have to send records to the vet for her to review to make sure everyone is doing well in production, health, etc. Well, a few weeks ago our program we use to keep records decided to go haywire. It was almost two weeks before we got things on track. But, to make matters worse, I had been sick with the flu previously. I was getting way behind on the hog records. Of course, it was time now to send our records to the vet and they were no where near caught up. The boss's wife stepped in and helped me get the records caught up because we could send them today. The vet could wait no longer. Now we're all caught up.

Remember, Sunday is Valentine's Day. Don't forget your special someone...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Renee,

I love places like Amish markets. Neat that you live near some so you can shop there. We got more snow last night. Nothing like you but still UCK! Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Jamie


Gone But Not Forgotten...

Even though you may be gone from this earth, you will always live on in our hearts!

Roscoe

Roscoe
A good walking buddy and awesome frisbee catcher! Life cut short by a brain tumor.

Tuffy

Tuffy
If ever there was a candidate for Dog Heaven, it would be Tuff. Tuff was put to rest December 7, 2012. At almost 14 years old, he threw the longevity curve for dogs of his breed-makeup and size. He battled 2 types of cancer and Cushing's Disease as well as arthritis. Faithful to the end and never grumpy, depite the constant care and nagging from me. Always the protector, gentleman and companion--you will be sorely missed by all who had the opportunity to know you.

Cranky Thomas

Cranky Thomas
Ever wonder why it's called "Life On CT Farm"? The horse you see in the pictures is Cranky Thomas, a registered quarter horse gelding. He was born May 5, 1980 in Galion, Alabama and passed away August 3, 2004 on CT Farm--his farm. He originally belonged to my husband, but I adopted him and I think he adopted me. We competed together in contest classes at local horse shows. But, an old injury finally slowed him down and I retired him in 2000. He was a loving and patient being that I completely trusted and admired. There will never be another like him, never. He meant so much to me that I named our farm after him as well as my company, Cranky T. LLC. He's gone now, but is still with me and now you.

Followers